Great Tips on improving your dogs osteoarthritis and overall health.
Let's talk about the most important and easiest to implement tip first.
Most dog owners don't realize the importance of a healthy weight for their dog. Overweight dogs can have a multitude of health issues. They include diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, respiratory disease, increased inflammation and osteoarthritis. The arthritis in their legs may force them to struggle to jump or even stand up. These issues lead to a poor quality of life. Studies show a shorter life expectancy of overweight dogs.
A study of Labrador Retrievers reviewed hip dysplasia during the first two years of their lives. The researchers put the dogs in two groups.
They gave group one as much food as they wanted.
They gave group two 25% less food as group one.
Dogs provided with unlimited food were 2 to 3 times more likely to develop hip dysplasia by two years of age. Providing your dog with the proper amount of food is critical to the joint health of your pet.
So, watching your pet's weight leads us to our first tip:
1) First Tip: Buy a food dish that holds the exact amount of food recommended by your vet. Buying a feeding dish with the proper size will help maintain your dog's weight. In regards to osteoarthritis, additional weight puts more stress on joints. The more stress on the joint, the more likely it will wear down and become damaged. In fact, every pound of excess weight puts about four pounds of extra pressure on a dog's knees.1
You might think, "Oh, no, my dog's not overweight". The Association for Pet Obesity Prevention (APOP), estimates 54% of pets in America are overweight. That's roughly one out of every two dogs being overweight. Most likely, your dog could be on the wrong side of the scale.
Trust us; this is the easiest way to improve your dog's overall health and osteoarthritis. At feeding time, your dog will always receive the proper amount of food, so you won't accidentally overfill the bowl. You'll know just when to stop.
2) Second Tip: Make sure to exercise your dog regularly. Again, this is done to help maintain your dog's weight, but it also improves your dog's mental status, anxiety levels and overall calm. Exercise will improve cardiovascular health and muscular health. It will also help with digestive issues, constipation, improved agility and will help maintain a healthy weight.
You can take your dog for a run or walk, or play Frisbee or fetch. These activities will be good for the both of you. Set up a routine; make it a habit. Regular exercise for you and your dogs is always a good thing.
Remember: Don't engage in extreme activities with your dog. If you take your dog for two twenty minutes walks per day, and then go on a six-hour rigorous mountain hike with your dog, your dog's joint health will suffer. This is no different from an athlete who must slowly ramp up physical activity to avoid injuries. With long distance runners, running a marathon is often not the challenge. It's ramping up the mileage during training without getting injured that is the biggest hurdle to overcome. Your dog isn't any different. Manage your dog's exercise so that it is consistent, and your dog will be healthier and happier.
3) Third Tip: Buy a good, comfortable, supportive bed for your dog. I'm sure most of you have thought of this, but sometimes it can be overlooked, especially with larger dogs.
Dogs lying on the floor are lying on their arms and legs. This can damage their joints after long periods.
Also, a bed will help keep your dog warm and dry, which protects against cold and damp conditions that can aggravate arthritis. Consider orthopedic beds for dogs with arthritis and even therapeutic baby mattresses for giant breeds.
4) Fourth Tip: Help your dog maintain traction walking. Earlier in life, your dog might have jumped up into a car or a bed, but now a ramp may help dogs with osteoarthritis in these situations.
Carpets and area rugs that are slip-proof prevent dogs from slipping and injuring themselves by falling.
5) Fifth Tip: Supplement with Glucosamine Chondroitin for dogs. Supplements provide the ingredients that joints use to rebuild cartilage.
Supplements also offer anti-inflammatories that can reduce swelling. Ingredients like glucosamine, chondroitin, green-lipped mussels, hyaluronic acid and msm help rebuild joints.
Other ingredients like Essential Fatty Acids, Boswellia Serata Extract and Antioxidants reduce inflammation.
Use a veterinarian recommended brand like Osteo-Pet® Glucosamine Chondroitin Supplements for Dogs that has an established reputation and a proven track record.
1 Kane, |. By Andrea. "How Fat Affects Arthritis." Obesity and Arthritis. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 Sept. 2016. Obesity and Arthritis
|Home Products Short Description||
Learn how to improve your dog's arthritis naturally! (And save thousands of dollars in vet bills). Just follow these simple tips to help improve the joint health of your dog.
We offer a 60 day, no questions asked, return policy on our products. We can offer this because we have a less than a 1% rate of return. Need to return an order? You can do so by logging into your account and clicking on the return link.