How is Glucosamine for Dogs Made?
Glucosamine for Dogs is usually extracted from the shells of shellfish (Lobster, crab, crawfish, shrimp, etc.).
The primary technique for making glucosamine hydrochloride is as follows:
- 1) Grinding: The shellfish shells are ground into a fine particulate.
- 2) Reactor step: The ground shells are then mixed with hydrochloric acid (HCl) to cause Acid Hydrolysis of the shellfish chitin (chitin is the shell material containing glucosamine)
- 3) Filtering: Glucosamine hydrochloride (HCl) will precipitate out of the solution during the reaction step and the precipitate is then filtered.
- 4) Decoloring: The filtered Glucosamine HCL crystals are cleaned by dissolving the crystals in a solution of water and activated charcoal to remove any color.
- 5) Crystallization: The dissolved Glucosamine HCl is extracted from the water and formed into crystals
- 6) Centrifugation: The glucosamine HCl crystals are separated and purified through a centrifuge.
- 7) Drying: The glucosamine HCl is dried, leaving pure glucosamine HCl, which looks like a white powder.
This is just one process for manufacturing one of the glucosamine forms. The three primary forms of glucosamine are glucosamine sulfate, glucosamine hydrochloride and n-acetyl glucosamine. Due to the differences in chemistry, the production process of each will be slightly different.
The document below requires Adobe Acrobat to view.
Click here to download (opens in a new window)
Proposal for making a Substantial Equivalence notification for Non-Shellfish Glucosamine Hydrochloride under Regulation (EC) No 258/97 for the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 January 1997 concerning novel foods and novel food ingredients.
Cargill Acidulants, February 5, 2004.
For more information, review the patent for processing glucosamine
|Home Products Short Description||N/A|
Marvelous Products offers a 60 day, no questions asked return policy on all of our products. We can offer this because we have a less than a 1% rate of return. If you need to return an order, you can do so by logging into your account and clicking on the return link.